Show me an example
- On the File menu, point to New, point to Software, and then click UML Model Diagram.
- In the tree view (tree view: Displayed in a window in the UML Navigator, a hierarchy in which each UML element or view (diagram) is represented by an icon. The UML template automatically creates a tree view of your model.), right-click the package in which you want to include the static structure diagram (static structure diagram: A diagram that shows the static structure of a model; that is, the elements that exist (such as classes and types), the internal structure of the elements, and their relationships to one another.), point to New, and click Static Structure Diagram.
A blank page appears, and the UML Static Structure stencil becomes the top-most stencil. The workspace displays 'Static Structure' as a watermark. An icon representing the diagram is added to the tree view.
Note If the tree view isn't visible, point to View on the UML menu, and then click Model Explorer.
- Drag class or object shapes onto the drawing page to represent the classes or objects you want to include in your class static structure diagram or conceptual model.
Work with classes and objects in UML static structure diagrams
- Double-click each shape to open its UML Properties dialog box, where you can add attributes, operations, and other properties.
- Right-click each class or object shape, and then click Shape Display Options to select which properties to display on the shape and which compartments of the shape to suppress (such as attributes, operations, and template parameters).
- Indicate relationships between the classes and objects using Association, Link, Dependency, Generalization, or Composition shapes.
Work with associations in UML static structure diagrams
Work with dependencies in UML static structure diagrams
Work with generalizations in UML static structure diagrams
Work with links in UML static structure diagrams
- Double-click each relationship shape (Association, Link, Dependency, Generalization, or Composition) to open its UML Properties dialog box, where you can add association end adornments and other properties.